November 10, 2008

Vertigo

Last Saturday morning, when I woke up my world was spinning round and round…literally! I had an attack of vertigo. I know many are unfamiliar with this disease, I suppose my boss, my professor and classmates were thinking that I’m making up this disease. But it’s real and it feels horrible. Vertigo according to wiki medical:

Vertigo (from the Latin vertere, to turn, and the suffix -igo, a condition, i. e., "a ride of LaRonde about"[1]) is a specific type of dizziness, a major symptom of a balance disorder. It is the sensation of spinning or swaying while the body is actually stationary with respect to the surroundings.
The effects of vertigo may be slight. It can cause nausea and vomiting and, in severe cases, it may give rise to difficulties with standing and walking.


And as explained by my doctor it is caused by over fatigue, stress and too much salt intake. This is my third attack, the last one was two years ago. Good thing I still have medicines left from the last attack but I think it has expired because after intake the dizziness stopped but I got this terrible headache. So I just slept it off and my mom told me not to read books, watch tv and open my laptop…strain my eyes because she firmly believes that it’s because of my eye abuse…so after sleeping for hours…I had no choice but to sleep some more.

This disease which is not exactly a disease but a symptom is real. Boss, Ma'am, classmates..I’m not making this one up :)

2 retrospection:

Satia said...

Unlike blogie above, I don't have Meniere's or MS or any of the long list of causes that usually underly vertigo.

But I have vertigo and I know how you feel, trying to defend yourself against other people's skepticism. I hope that meds help you recover quickly. I've been living with it for nearly two years and I've gradually learned ways to help me cope with it. Even my worst days now are not as bad as they used to be.

I hope you well and if I you think some of the things I do may help you, feel free to email me. If my experience can help you, I'd be happy to ease your dizziness.

Raine said...

@blogie: really now? i should give my doctor a visit to see why this recurred. Good for you that it's gone now

@satia:thanks for the comment..do share some tips in coping with this :)