October 6, 2008

Something in common

It would be nice to be in a relationship with someone who shares your interest. I love reading and I wished before that I’ll end up with someone who’s also a bookworm. Unfortunately, Blow doesn’t share this passion. He only read books or magazine with pictures or drawings in it. It’s probably because he’s an artist and read artsy Lits which mostly have pictures or drawings. Sometimes, I would daydream about the endless conversations we could have about Harry Potter, Alex Cross, the recent books I’ve read and so on and so forth. We could talk on and on about it. Sometimes if I can’t help it I would actually talk on and on about a book I’ve read but mostly the conversation is one sided punctuated with his occasional "uh-huh’s". It’s a bit frustrating at times but I bet he also feels the same way when we would visit exhibits and I would only admire paintings or installations with vivid colors. I appreciate art, but I don’t “get” it most of the time. We both love the bookstore though, that’s "something in common", but for different reasons. He would buy his supplies of acrylics, brushes and browse the art books. I would check the latest books. Yesterday we went to National Bookstore. I ogled at the hardbound books for sale..all at P99! As I was checking the books, Blow would hand me books he finds interesting and then I told me him I’m looking for mystery, suspense.. crime books. He then looked for it and hand me one each time he comes upon books with murder or kill or death on the title. He even handed me a Jonthan Kellerman book because of the “Keller” har!har! I was deeply touched by his support. It made the book selection process a lot easier. It came to me then that recognition and acceptance of differences bonds two people closer even more than merely having something in common.

4 retrospection:

Anonymous said...

hahaha at least Raine you can credit him for his effort. I have been in relationships where the other parties are bookworms too and it got a little boring. I mean instead of snuggling and doing all the cheesy stuffs, we shove title in each other's faces. There goes romance. :) if it's any consolation, at least you got someone who can do your portrait - pro bono!

Raine said...

@drama queen:yes he already did 2 portraits of me plus henna tattoos and etc...it's really a good thing he's an artist hehehe

claire said...

ooh i share your sentiments. but i've learned to dearly appreciate my fate. i had an ex who was a lot like me and i imagine if we got married we'd be a mess. i imagine us reading till dawn and no one taking care of the garbage. i believe that the best marriages are ones where the one complements the other. i bring the rain in, he grabs the umbrella. i take a plunge, he opens his arms wide to catch me. we go hand in hand. if it were someone like me, we'll only fall and fall and then keep on falling.

Raine said...

@dreamy: am appreciating it now too :)