September 29, 2008

The Butterfly Effect

"You don't screw with time.It's called the butterfly effect, you step on a butterfly today, 3 years from now a million people are wiped out"-Angela Petrelli, Episode 2, Season 3


I never realized how obsessed I am with Heroes until last Saturday. During my class in Production Organization and Management my professor was discussing about the Earth's immune system, nature and etc. I raised my hand and asked , "Ma'am, is it true that when you step on a butterfly today, 3 years from now a million people are wiped out? I heard it's called the butterfly effect." She replied, "I don't think so since we step on many insects almost everyday, it's just normal". I paused for a few moments to reflect on her reply, I was thinking of a retort when I realized that Angela Petrelli was referring to Time Travel! Good thing my professor doesn't watch Heroes LOLs

7 retrospection:

Anonymous said...

hello.. just hopping by.. got your site from ailyn.. classmate mi sa college.. hehe toink toink

Avat@r said...

hehehe, unless your professor reads up on chaos theory I guess that a normal response to your question. I find it funny though that some of the current series talks about this concept (lain lang ug term). Butterfly effect - Heroes, Ripple effect - 4400, The Pattern -Fringe (not exactly the same but close).
Btw if we do step on many insects in a day...baho na atong tiil ana :))

Raine said...

@vinkoy:thanks for dropping by

@avat@r:yep but the concept is basically the same. yeah i remember the ripple effect in 4400, i have yet to watch Fringe...baho kung magtiniil ka...pero naka-habayabas man? LOLs

Anonymous said...

uy! another heroes fan... nice! =) tinood man tingali ang ingon ni angela petrelli kung basehan lng sa theory.mao na yaw na mo sige tamak ug mga insects - mubaho na imo tiil, killer pa jd ka of millions of people... tsk tsk tsk... hehe ^_^

Raine said...

@lazy goy:tama man cguro...naexplain man sa chaos theory about the flutter of a butterfly wings equivalent to a tsunami...something like that. pero bitaw likay na lang na makatamak hehehe

Anonymous said...

exxxxxxxagerated probability.
on a philosophical note, kung unsa man buhaton nato karon, bisan unsa ka gamay na sya, mag contribute ug dako (compounded with infinite interest) sa outcome due to the chaotic nature of the universe. Pero ironically, chaos mathematics is there to find order out of chaos.
Kung buot huna huna on, kanang flapping sa wing sa butterfly, same lang na ug effect sa ato utot compounded as time approaches infinity...hehehe...

Raine said...

@Anonymous:kuyawa jud nimo oi...cge explain sa ako ha:)