May 26, 2008

Reader's Circle


Yesterday I attended a Reader's Circle at the KopiRoti coffee shop along with fellow book worms. The activity was a brainchild of Aicha who got inspired by the comfy reader’s lounge of the newly opened coffee shop, Kangaroo. She thought of reading good books for free so she thought of creating a readers circle where book lovers could swap books. So she told her friends to bring three books that they want others to read and meet up. One of her friends, Chi, told me about it and I brought Rhea along. We were supposed to meet at Kangaroo but it was closed so we went to KopiRoti instead. So there we were, Aiha, Jesh, Chi, Rhea and Me. We talked about books of course and even if it was the first time for some of us to meet there was an instant camarederie and we were comfortable enough to confess our obsession or rather passion for books. It’s really nice to meet up with people who share your passion..oh wait! i think I’ve said that before about my first blog EB.
There was a very good and varied selection of books there from Isabel Allende to Jerry Spinelli and much much more. I envy the others for knowing that many authors and good books. I am a bit prudent when it comes to exploring books and authors. Oftentimes if I read a good book then I would read all the books of that author before exploring other authors. And I would only read new authors if it comes highly recommended from a trusted source. I’m looking forward to reading the book I borrowed, Balzac and the Little Chinese seamstress by Dai Sijie.
Also, it was comforting to know that I am not crazy after all because sometimes when I go to second hand book shops like BookShop or BookSale, I get this feeling that I’m gonna find a book that I’ve been looking for. That a book is waiting just for me to find it. That the book and I were meant to be.It feels like magic LOLS I thought it was weird to feel that way but when I told the others about it they assured me that I’m not alone. So I’m not crazy after all or even if I am, atleast I’m not alone :)
We’re planning to meet every other Sunday so leave me a comment if you’re interested to join us. The next meet up is scheduled on June 8.


P.S. Please join our yahoogroup, Davaoreaderscircle

12 retrospection:

Dom Cimafranca said...

I'll join! I recognize Angely in the photo. Hoping to meet more.

Anonymous said...

wow kung nasa davao me, ayl depinetlee join :)

Raine said...

@dominique:see you then! will keep you posted

@jehzeel:sige lang maybe when you'll visit Davao you could join us :)

Anonymous said...

Sayang nga dili ko resident sa Dabaw. Gusto unta ko moapil. =(

Anonymous said...

I want I want!!! Hehe. :) Sige sige. I hope I am available that time.. can i have your number? or something? hehe thanks for the invite.. so nice of you...

also http://angelblush.net

Raine said...

@jae: but you can start one in CDO or in Cebu :)

@tina:welcome2x. i read your book blog that's why i thought of you :)

Anonymous said...

This is really an amazing idea! I want to join! Can I also bring some friends over?

Anonymous said...

wala pako kaadto kangaroo, pero nice iya concept.

isaw said...

hello dom. chi here. was going to invite to next meeting. yehey! managhan na!

Raine said...

@andie:sure you can...will keep you posted :)

@marco:libreha ko dd2 hehehe

Psyche said...

naiingit naman ako.

Raine said...

@psyche:join ka pag uli nimo diri :)