January 3, 2010

Learning the basics

The problem with me is that I want to try new things but I'm impatient to learn the basics. Like cooking, I don't want to slice, chop and peel. I didn't even bother to learn the difference between broil and boil (spelling?) yet I want to be a good Cook. When I realized that there are a lot of good cooks I got discouraged. I also get hurt when they criticize my self accalimed masterpieces. So what I did was...I gave up and left the cooking to the experts. I have come to accept that I am not a Cook but a Food Critic.

Now that Blow is into photography I am interested to learn it too but I don't want to be bothered by the technicalities like aperture and metering and etc. I was foolishly expecting that when I hold the camera I would know exactly what to do but again it's not the case. I also get discouraged when here I am a newbie... still learning and there are a lot of professionals out there. So I re-evaluated why I wanted to learn Photography in the first place. It's not only because Blow is into it. I am interested because I want to capture moments not just images. I want to freeze the very essence of a place or thing or people into frames. I want some remembrance that I can look at again and again when I'm old and gray. Driven by this goal I have resolved in this new year to take a new approach into becoming better if not the best in anything I do.I am willing to learn the basics. Be patient and accept criticism. And most importantly never compare my accomplishments ( or lack of it) to others, a wise man (James) once told me that Photography is not about Social Recognition but about Self Fulfillment. So Go Floraine, Click Away!

5 retrospection:

RJ said...

so okay you got it! self-fulfillment.. you can apply the same philosophy in cooking too.. the essence of a woman _being a wife, a mother. . . . , and feeding the child and the husband.. hehe

Leo said...

mabuhay yan Flo. picture ri pod mi ha. hehehe

Raine said...

@RJ: i'm starting to cook too!does cooking include making of salads? :)

@leo: sure2x. I'll let you know kung mangita kog nude model hehehe

paolo said...

what do you know, i'm into photography too :) much more fulfilling than writing my confessions from a cheap motel :)

Raine said...

@Paolo:really now? you have a flickr account? i'm really curious to see your photos...i'm pretty sure they'll be "interesting"